Music at St Nicholas
The Director of Music is Richard Bower GRSM ARCM who is organist and choirmaster and now also manages the music group. The church has a fine organ, which is played for all of the main services. There is also a chamber organ that is used for services in the Chancel, particularly in the Winter months. There is a Celebrity Organ Recital close to September 15th each year, the date of the opening recital in 1995.
The church choir rehearses each Friday at 6pm and sings at the Sunday Morning Parish Communion, and at the Major Festivals throughout the year and at occasional choral evensongs. It is a robed choir affiliated to the Royal School of Church Music and consisting at present of adult singers.
The music group plays at the family service each third Sunday of the month. The instruments are mainly woodwind and strings plus piano and drums (and occasionally organ).
We are always pleased to welcome singers to join the choir and instrumentalists to join the music group.
The main organ is a comprehensive 30 stop three manual instrument with mechanical action to the manuals and direct electric to the pedal stops. Parts of the organ proudly date back to the organ built by Father Smith for Rougham Hall circa 1690 and which was erected in a west gallery at Dereham in 1785.
The specification of the organ is as follows:
“Let Us With a Gladsome Mind” is the title of the CD recording of the organ, made by the director of music in 2005 copies are still available at £10 each.
The Chamber organ in the Chancel is a single manual instrument dating from the early 1800’s. It has a keyboard that slides into the case when not in use and it has presently five stops (open diapason, stopped diapason principal , fifteenth and nineteenth). The single pedal operates a “shifting movement”, a genuine Georgian device for cancelling the brighter stops when depressed and so allowing echo effects without moving stop knobs or breaking the flow of the music.
| Printable Version|